Commercial Banking Officer
The Commercial Banking Officer position is responsible for providing a full range of commercial banking services, including developing new business and client relationships; producing a variety of commercial loans; generating and managing a portfolio of business and corresponding relationships; seeking new accounts through calling efforts, marketing, and referrals; as well as coordinating the cross-sale and delivery of bank products and services to clientele while serving as a trusted advisor. This position will also have responsibility for underwriting, structuring, and closing commercial loans that meet established lending requirements and maximizes profitability to the Bank with minimal risk. Portfolio size, credit authority, lending limits and asset quality may be determining factors for assigned level within the job family. Depending on level of position, may have responsibility to develop, train, coach, and motivate less experienced bankers to achieve the Bank’s loan goals.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Establish and services a sound loan portfolio by cultivating new and expanding existing business through
an effective calling program.
- Regularly achieves and/or exceeds agreed-upon benchmarks and annual goals.
- Builds solid, profitable relationships with clients/prospects characterized by mutual respect,
understanding and trust. Works to establish his/her role as a trusted financial advisor.
- Evaluates the overall resources and capabilities of the client/prospect’s business, considering current industry dynamic, financial and operational strategy, economic
conditions and market trends and prioritizes client/prospect opportunities.
- Analyzes client/prospect needs, and recommends appropriate solutions that match those needs, consistent with the Bank’s credit culture, and maximizes Heritage Bank’s profitability and shareholder value.
- Analyze and screen loan requests. Negotiates terms/conditions, structure loan financing based on risk considerations consistent with Bank policy and Asset/Liability guidelines; approve loans within assigned lending limits; and/or prepare/ present credits outside lending limits for approval to appropriate levels of authority, as
- Fosters and maintains cohesive partnerships and working relationships with all lines of business within the Bank to build a trusted and productive sales and service referral
- Effectively evaluates and manages each client relationship and transaction for financial and credit risk and potential loss to the Bank, ensuring adequate safeguards and monitoring of accounts.
- Ensures collateral, routinely reviews cash-flow and ensures standards and loan terms are met on an ongoing basis.
- Proactively leverages ideas, insights, and relationships to generate new and incremental loan and deposit business for Heritage Bank; utilizes existing client/prospect base and network of clients/prospects referral sources and means of improving client acquisition and retention.
- Ensure timely and thorough monitoring of all credits through periodic reviews, continued analysis, proper credit quality grading, and proper documentation. Maintains ongoing contact with client to be kept current on significant changes in financial condition or operations. Remedy loan deficiencies where appropriate, including loans out of compliance with borrower’s loan agreement, or out of formula with borrowing base.
- Prepare and present all required and requested loan reports in a timely manner.
- Monitors the performance of the borrower over the life of the loan.
- Able to recognize developing problems and bringing them to the attention of management. For troubled credits, assist in developing a strategy to return the credit to a pass rating or exit strategy.
- Comply with government regulations by maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of commercial law, UCC, and banking regulations/policy to assure conformity with required laws and terms.
- Maintain an awareness of competitive products, practices, rates and changes in the local market.
- Represents the Bank in the local community through proactive participation in community, charitable, business and social activities to allow for maximum client and customer contact.
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver exceptional customer service and maintain client relationships, both internally and externally.
- Customer-centric mindset, with the ability to translate customer issues/needs into profitable business solutions.
- Networking and relationship building skills, with demonstrated expertise and success in business development and sales processes and strategies.
- A proven track record as an individual contributor who has grown top line results in a service oriented business.
- Effective listening, verbal, written, and telephone etiquette business communication skills, including effective questioning strategies and presentation skills; ability to
read, write, speak and understand English well.
- Strong problem solving and decision-making skills, with demonstrated ability to quickly focus on key issues, make decisions under pressure of time constraints
and translate business development challenges into opportunities.
- Ability to identify recurring and non-recurring sources of cash flow and guarantors’ ability to service debt.
- Business and financial analysis and modeling skills, with understanding of financial accounting, income statements, balance sheets, etc., requiring the ability to gather, analyze and prepare reports.
- Working knowledge of lending practices, policies, procedures, disclosures and terminology related to banking laws, regulatory requirements and legal documents.
- Strong planning, organizational, time management and follow up skills, demonstrating a strong sense of urgency and ability to execute quickly, timely and efficiently.
- An ability to analyze and synthesize information accurately and effectively, multi-task and decide key priorities with confidence, motivation, decisiveness, flexibility, and sound business judgment.
- Understanding of the Bank’s credit underwriting policies and approval process for assigned loans.
- Ability to handle and deal with sensitive and confidential matters in an efficient manner.
- Proficient PC experience using MS Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook) and retrieval of data; working knowledge of automated financial systems, with the ability to
learn and adapt to new technologies quickly.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or Marketing - preferred.
- 2+ years’ recent experience as a credit analyst and/or commercial banker or similar position requiring strong business knowledge and credit judgment; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Formal credit training and C&I experience – desired.
- Climate controlled office environment.
- There may be frequent employee and customer contacts and interruptions during the day.
- Work involves being able to concentrate on the matter at hand, under sometimes distracting work conditions.
- Work requires willingness to work a flexible and/or rotating schedule which may require evening work.
- May be exposed to outside climate conditions and/or required to wear protective devises during site and
- Work may involve the constant use of computer screens, reading of reports, and sitting throughout the day.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, multi-line telephone, photocopier, scanner, facsimile, which often requires dexterity of hands and fingers with repetitive wrist and hand motion.
- Typically sitting at a desk or table; intermittently standing, stooping, bending at the waist, climbing, kneeling or crouching to file materials and/or site/property inspections.
- Occasional lifting 10 - 20 lbs. (files, boxes).
Travel Time: Varies – 50%; Willingness to travel to other branch, customer, business locations, and meeting sites, which may include overnight travel and extended stay availability when needed; valid driver’s license, clean driving record, proof of insurance, and access to reliable transportation; or the ability to access and utilize an alternative method of transportation, when needed, to carry out job-related essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not an exclusive list of all qualifications for this position.
Heritage Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable laws.
Job applicants have certain legal rights. Please click here for information regarding these rights.
If you need assistance completing the online application, please email: HBRecruiting@HeritageBankNW.com.