SBA Business Development Officer
This position is responsible for providing a full range of commercial banking services for small to medium sized businesses, with an emphasis on SBA commercial lending, credit quality, and business development efforts, seeking new accounts through calling, marketing, and referrals, as well as coordinating the cross-sale and delivery of bank products and services to clientele while serving as a trusted advisor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Other duties/projects may be assigned):
- Provide exceptional service to internal and external customers in accordance with Heritage Bank Service Standards.
- Fosters and maintains cohesive partnerships and working relationships with all lines of business within the Bank to build a trusted and productive sales and service referral process.
- Actively partner with other lines of business to meet and exceed established production and referral targets and goals, as set with the management team.
- Proactively generate loans in a wide variety of terms and conditions including both secured and unsecured transactions.
- Recommend loans to Credit Administration specifically focusing on SBA types of loans.
- Builds solid relationships with clients/prospects characterized by mutual respect, understanding and trust. Works to establish his/her role as a trusted financial advisor to develop new business and retain existing business.
- Monitor compliance with loan policy and appropriate regulations.
- Structure and complete detailed information needed for the completion of loan documents and all other agreements.
- Maintain current knowledge of banking and lending rules and regulations and ensure compliance with all bank & SBA policies and procedures, as well as applicable state and federal regulations.
- Represents the Bank in the local community through proactive participation in community, charitable, business and social activities to allow for maximum client and customer contact.
- Attend all departmental, lender and branch meetings, as required, and function as a sales and customer service role model within the team.
- Prepare, present and/or provide senior management with reports and loan information in a timely and accurate manner, as requested and assigned.Provides project management oversight in the execution of construction projects, remodels and other related specials projects.
- High School Diploma or equivalent – required. Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Marketing or relevant discipline – required.
- 2+ years’ recent experience as a credit analyst and/or commercial banker or similar position requiring strong business knowledge and credit judgment, while providing financial expertise, counsel, and solutions to business clients – required.
- Recent SBA lending experience – strongly desired.
- Must have excellent business development skills.
- Equivalent combination of education, experience, and training may be considered.
- Provides an exceptional level of quality service for internal/external customers; responds to customers' needs, questions and concerns in an accurate, effective, and timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain positive, professional relationships, to successfully interact with all levels and functional areas of the organization.
- Customer-centric mindset, with the ability to translate customer issues/needs into profitable business solutions.
- Networking and relationship building skills, with demonstrated expertise and success in business development and sales processes and strategies.
- Excellent listening, verbal, written and telephone etiquette business communication skills, with the ability to communicate outstanding/follow up issues over the phone, in person and via email; effective presentation skills, with the ability to read, write, speak and understand English well.
- Strong problem solving and decision-making skills, with demonstrated ability to quickly focus on key issues, make decisions under pressure of time constraints, and translate business development challenges into opportunities.
- Strong planning, organizational, time management and follow up skills, demonstrating a strong sense of urgency and ability to execute quickly, timely and efficiently ensuring that priorities are set and sometimes competing deadlines are met.
- An ability to analyze and synthesize information accurately and effectively and decide key priorities with confidence, motivation, decisiveness, flexibility, and sound business judgment.
- Understanding of the Bank’s credit underwriting policies and approval process for assigned loans.
- Thorough knowledge of banking regulatory policies and procedures including the US Small Business Administration Standard Operating Procedures for the 7(a) & 504 Loan Programs.
- Working knowledge of lending practices, policies, procedures, disclosures and terminology related to banking laws, regulatory requirements, and legal documents.
- Business and financial analysis and modeling skills, with understanding of financial accounting, income statements, balance sheets, etc., requiring the ability to gather, analyze and prepare reports.
- Ability to work well both independently and collectively within a production and team environment.
- Unquestionable integrity in handling sensitive and confidential information required.
- Proficient use of MS Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook) and the Bank’s core processing systems or similar financial services core processor, with the ability to adapt to and learn new technologies quickly.
- Frequent travel for business development and customer meetings; valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and access to reliable transportation; or the ability to access and utilize an alternative method of transportation, when needed, to carry out job-related essential functions.
- Climate controlled office environment.
- Occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions.
- Work involves being able to concentrate on the matter at hand, under sometimes distracting work conditions and frequent employee and/or customer contacts and interruptions during the day.
- Work requires regular attendance, punctuality, and adherence to agreed-upon schedule with willingness to work a flexible schedule and extended hours, as needed.
- Occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions.
- Work may involve the constant use of computer screens, reading of reports, and sitting throughout the day.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, multi-line telephone, photocopier, scanner and facsimile which often requires dexterity of hands and fingers with repetitive wrist and hand motion.
- Typically sitting at a desk or table; intermittently standing, stooping, bending at the waist, climbing, kneeling or crouching to file materials and/or site/property inspections; Occasional lifting 20 – 30 lbs.Work may involve the constant use of computer screens, reading of reports, and sitting throughout the day.
Heritage Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Job applicants have certain legal rights. Please click here for information regarding these rights.
If you need assistance completing the online application, please email: HBRecruiting@HeritageBankNW.com