Credit Officer or Credit Officer Senior (DOQ)
This position is responsible for approving new loan requests and renewals sponsored by commercial banking officers and is relied upon to assist with regional initiatives to maintain the overall credit quality of loans within their assigned region.
Preferred geographical locations for this position are Bellevue, Lynnwood, Seattle, Tacoma, WA or Portland, OR. Depending on experience other Washington or Oregon State locations may be considered.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Review and evaluate incoming credit requests; assist lenders in properly structuring and underwriting credits; approve loans within delegated authority and appropriately recommend credit decisions to Senior and/or Regional Credit Officer if additional authority is required.
- Ensure that a wide range of portfolio and credit risk analysis and reporting are completed to assist in the overall management of the Bank’s loan portfolio.
- Provide training and oversight to commercial lenders to ensure that credit underwriting standards as required by established loan policies and guidelines are consistently applied.
- Work collaboratively with commercial bankers to develop alternative strategies to address unusually complex or difficult lending situations.
- Analyze portfolio trends such as delinquencies, risk grade mitigation, credit, collateral and policy exceptions for the bank and individual officer level, reporting to senior management as appropriate.
- Analyze concentrations of credit by collateral, purpose, industry levels and trends in both absolute and also in relationship to capital, reporting to senior management as appropriate.
- Assist with troubled asset workouts, as needed.
- Utilize existing economic and market data available for the various markets and industries to perform periodic studies and analysis to support the markets which the Bank serves and to provide support to the Allowance for Loan and Lease Loss (ALLL) model.
- Comply with government regulations by maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of commercial law, UCC, and banking regulations/policies. Interact with regulators, auditors, internal loan review and outside consultants as requested and required.
- Responsible for loan policy exception tracking and summary reporting to management; prepares policy recommendations, as needed. Keeps abreast of trends and developments within banking and related industries as well as economic and regulatory changes
- High School Diploma or equivalent – required. Bachelor's degree from accredited university in business, finance or economics.
- 5+ years of recent experience in commercial banking, with an emphasis on loan origination and approval of commercial loans, demonstrating working knowledge and understanding of the credit review process and risk management practices in a community bank environment – required.
- Formal credit training – highly desired.
- Credit Officer Senior: 8+ years of recent experience in commercial banking, with an emphasis on loan origination, approval of commercial loans and advanced working knowledge and understanding of the credit review process and risk management practices in a community bank environment and formal credit training – required.
- Equivalent combination of education, training and commercial loan origination experience, may be considered
- Provides an exceptional level of service for internal and external customers, with the ability to build and maintain positive, professional relationships, to successfully interact with all levels and functional areas of the organization, and responds to customers' needs, questions and concerns in an accurate, effective, and timely manner.
- Strong listening, verbal, written, and telephone etiquette business communication skills, including effective negotiation and presentation skills in a variety of settings; with the ability to read, write, speak, and understand English well.
- Strategic approach to problem solving and decision-making, with demonstrated ability to quickly focus on key issues and make decisions under pressure of time constraints.
- Strong business knowledge and acumen, credit underwriting, structuring and credit judgment skills.
- Strong understanding and working knowledge of commercial credit administration, credit review process, risk management practices; loan workout and loan production.
- Strong working knowledge of regulatory requirements and standards applicable to commercial lending, C & I, commercial real estate, consumer and residential mortgage products.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly focus on key issues and make decisions under pressure of time constraints and/or incomplete information.
- Strong working knowledge of accounting and finance theory and practices, including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, taxation, legal forms of organizations, and business law.
- Strong knowledge of commercial credit and credit policy in a financial services and community bank environment.
- Strong organizational, time management, data review and analytical skills, with the ability to manage multiple assignments and goals, ensuring that priorities are set and commitments and deadlines are met, with minimal direction and supervision.
- Ability to work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and departments.
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-volume work flow.
- Delivers information effectively with the ability to handle and deal with sensitive and confidential matters in an efficient manner.
- Proficient PC experience using MS Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook), with strong working knowledge of financial analysis and credit software, with the ability to adapt to and learn new products and technologies quickly.
- Climate controlled office environment.
- Work involves being able to concentrate on the matter at hand under sometimes distracting work conditions and frequent interruptions during the day.
- May be exposed to outside climate conditions and/or rough terrain during site inspections.
- Work may involve the constant use of computer screens, reading of reports, and sitting throughout the day.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, multi-line telephone, photocopier, scanner and facsimile which often requires dexterity of hands and fingers with repetitive wrist and hand motion.
- Typically sitting at a desk or table; intermittently standing, stooping, bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to file materials and during site and property visits/inspections.
- May be required to wear protective devices.
- Occasional lifting 15 – 25 lbs. (files, boxes).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not an exclusive list of all qualifications for this position.
Heritage Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Job applicants have certain legal rights. Please click the following links for more information regarding these rights,
If you need assistance completing the online application, please email: HBRecruiting@HeritageBankNW.com