The Branch Relationship Officer is responsible for the profitability, goal achievement and operational excellence of assigned branch by executing sales and business development activities, proactively partnering with the commercial team, meeting operational objectives, managing employee development and engagement through coaching and performance management in accordance with the Heritage Bank Mission, Vision, and Values. This position will actively service all needs of the customer to include paying and receiving duties, account transactions, opening new accounts and provide broad based administrative support to the commercial lending team. This position is also responsible for building the Bank’s presence in designated Metro Market branches, as assigned through prospecting and relationship development as well as community involvement.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Lead and manage a metro branch to ensure that established production goals for deposits, fee income, loan production and other corporate goals, as assigned, are met or exceeded and customer service in the branch is conducted in accordance with the Heritage Bank Service Standards.
- Organize and direct operational workflow to minimize risk and ensure efficient, effective procedures, practices, staff composition and scheduling.
- Actively lead and train staff to ensure branch consistently adheres to all regulatory compliance standards, internal operational and credit controls and follows all operating policies and procedures.
- Ensure accuracy and timely completion of audits, certifications, compliance, and reporting.
- Ensure audit, security, and compliance issues and/or concerns are addressed and resolved in a timely manner. Act as a liaison between branch and support departments.
- In partnership with Commercial Banking Manager, lead and manage sales for the metro branch including mentoring and training staff in using standard relationship selling techniques to grow existing relationships and gain new customer relationships.
- Provide exceptional service and positively contribute to the sales goals and overall success of the branch by recommending and referring bank products and services based on customer needs, participating in outbound sales call with business partners and by building and maintaining professional working relationships with all lines of business.
- Resolve customer questions and/or concerns in a timely manner to maintain optimal branch performance in service quality, accuracy, efficiency, and manage risk prudently. Make and approve policy and procedure exceptions within assigned limits.
- Maintain a comprehensive knowledge of operational policies and procedures and thorough knowledge of federal and state laws/regulations pertaining to compliance, branch operations and consumer and small business lending.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of all Bank’s products and services. Ensure successful implementation of marketing and promotional programs in the branch. Take leadership in rolling out new retail products and services.
- Perform routine paying and receiving duties. Accept deposits, cash checks, and process withdrawals, transfers and issue negotiable instruments according to established Standard Operating Procedures, (SOP) and in accordance with assigned Authority Limits.
- Open customer accounts in accordance with all account opening and account ownership verification procedures and compliance requirements. Minimize risk by identifying any potential fraudulent transactions. Complete account documentation according to Bank guidelines.
- Proactively grow and cross-sell business transaction accounts, cash management products and merchant services products.
- May interview consumer loan clients and process consumer loan requests; as appropriate, refer consumer, small business and real estate loans, and partner with other lines of business to achieve established production goals.
- Assists lending team with operational and transactional support, client relationship tracking, processing paperwork, and assembling and summarizing information, as requested and/or required.
- Represent the Bank in the local community through involvement in professional organizations, activities, and by attending civic and community group meetings and events.
- Develop, implement and monitor the annual and quarterly business plans, including sales goals, income, and expense strategies to ensure maximum profitability for the branch. Provide leadership in communicating the bank’s overall strategy. Assist with the annual budgeting process.
- Develop skills of staff through goal-setting, coaching, problem resolution, delegation, training, counseling, and performance management.
- Work collaboratively with Retail Management and Human Resources to recommend staffing levels and approve personnel actions such as hiring, terminations, promotions, transfers, timely performance reviews and salary increases, in accordance with legal and acceptable Bank personnel practices.
- Monitor supplies, furniture, equipment and security levels ensuring the efficient operation of the branch. Monitor the physical appearance and condition of the branch and report needed improvements to the Facilities Department.
- High School diploma or equivalent - required. Associates degree or higher in Business, Accounting and/or Finance – preferred.
- 4+ years’ recent experience in retail banking branch operations, sales and service, effectively managing a deposit and customer base, to include a minimum of 2 years in a supervisory / management role, demonstrating effective operational, relationship management and business development skills and demonstrated success in leading, coaching, and motivating a team, within a financial services industry – required.
- Thorough working knowledge of commercial, consumer and residential lending and all retail products and services – required.
- Equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Proven ability to provide professional, responsive customer service; with strong customer service delivery, sales, business development and relationship selling skills.
- Strong listening, verbal, written, and telephone etiquette business communication skills, including effective questioning strategies and presentation skills; with the ability to read, write, speak, and understand English well.
- Demonstrated ability to train employees in customer service, sales, operations, compliance and product knowledge.
- Strong leadership and managerial skills are required to manage, motivate, and develop a team, and monitor workflow and schedules. Employee development, performance management, training and employee counseling skills are required.
- Ability to develop and manage income and expense budget(s).
- Advanced knowledge of all retail job functions, paying/receiving, operations, branch certifications and in-depth working knowledge of all retail products and services, consumer and small business lending, account and legal documentation.
- Thoroughly understands and applies principles, procedures, compliance requirements, state/federal regulations, and policies related to assigned area of oversight.
- Strong understanding of debit/credit relationships and negotiable instruments; math skills to calculate interest, balance accounts and locate routine and non-routine mathematical errors.
- Consistent sales and business development skills with the ability to identify customer needs and cross-sell the Bank’s products and services with confidence.
- Strategic approach to problem solving and decision-making, with demonstrated ability to quickly focus on key issues and independently make decisions under pressure of time constraints.
- Strong analytical reasoning, attention to detail, organizational, data review and time management skills, with the ability to accurately manage multiple assignments, goals, reporting requests and staffing schedules, ensuring priorities are set and commitments and deadlines are met, with minimal direction and supervision.
- Unquestionable integrity in handling sensitive and confidential information required.
- Proficient PC experience using MS Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook) and working knowledge of financial services industry core processing and automated banking systems, i.e., Fiserv or equivalent, with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies quickly.
- This position may require National Mortgage Licensing System and Registry (NMLS) registration under the terms of the SAFE Act of 2008. Continued employment in this position with Heritage Bank is contingent upon successful registration and annual re-registration thereafter.
- Climate controlled office environment.
- Work involves being able to concentrate on the matter at hand, under sometimes distracting work conditions and frequent interruptions during the day.
- Work requires willingness to work a flexible and/or rotating schedule. May be required to work Saturday’s and or extended hours, as needed.
- May be exposed to potential risk and hazard - receives detailed instruction to minimize risk.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, multi-line telephone, photocopier, scanner and facsimile which often requires dexterity of hands and fingers with repetitive wrist and hand motion.
- Ability to stand or sit for extended periods of time and duration of shift. Ability to occasionally kneel, reach, bend, push, pull and carry.
- Work may involve the constant use of computer screens, reading of reports; typically sitting at a desk or table; intermittently standing, stooping, bending at the waist, climbing, kneeling or crouching to file materials.
- Occasional lifting to independently move, lift or transport money and coin, 25-50 lbs., or files and/or boxes 5-10 lbs.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not an exclusive list of all qualifications for this position.
Heritage Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Job applicants have certain legal rights. Please click here for information regarding these rights.
If you need assistance completing the online application, please email: HBRecruiting@HeritageBankNW.com