The Credit Analyst is responsible for assisting Commercial Bankers for in underwriting credits, portfolio management and customer service for an assigned portfolio of commercial accounts. Additionally, this position will assist to ensure compliance with all policies, procedures and regulations, and the accurate and timely delivery of documents for closing the loan. This position requires direct supervision and oversight and may act independently, as needed, to accurately respond to customer inquiries related to the lending process.
Depending on experience Credit Analyst I or II may be considered.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Provide an exceptional level of customer service around all aspects of the banking relationship with a focus on the credit aspects in conjunction with the Commercial Banker assigned to the relationship.
- Independently interacts with prospective and existing clients to collect financial statements, tax returns, and other applicable information, to include, but is not limited to account receivables aging’s, account payable aging’s, rent rolls, operating statements, leases, corporate documents, and environmental reports.
- Complete and/or coordinate with Credit Administration, financial statement spreading and cash flow/global cash flow analysis, as requested and needed.
- Identify loan purpose, source of repayment, collateral value/priority, and full written analysis of all credit elements within the credit memorandum (SCM).
- May participate in presentations/meetings with credit administration to negotiate structuring, pricing and edits needed to highlight and or partially mitigate credit risks.
- Track loan agreement compliance, covenant monitoring, borrowing base certificates and financial reporting, via use of the lending tickler system. Ensure timely and accurate follow up.
- Analyze financial and other information and complete file memos or written analysis to document trends and, where necessary, report and/or gain credit approval for action taken on Loan Agreement violations.
- Independently interacts with customers to collect information needed to complete loan renewals ahead of loan maturity dates, to include information needed to order new property appraisals, as applicable.
- Participate in the construction administration process by collecting and reviewing required information for monthly draws in conjunction with the RECAD team.
- Comply with governing regulations by maintaining current knowledge of commercial law, UCC and Banking regulations and policies to ensure conformity with required laws and terms.
- May accompany Commercial Banking Officer on business calls and/or site visits, as requested.
- High School Diploma or equivalent – required; Associate’s degree in Accounting or other business related field – required. Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics, Marketing or relevant discipline – preferred.
- Level I - Accounting and financial analysis skills as developed through a combination of education and work experience – required. 1+ year recent experience in a commercial lending support and/or credit analyst role, in the financial services industry – preferred.
- Level II - 3 – 5 years of recent commercial credit underwriting experience, which includes financial statement analysis, cash flow analysis, collateral evaluation and loan structuring in a commercial banking environment – required. C & I experience – desired.
- Equivalent combination of education, formal credit training and relevant experience may be considered.
- Excellent listening, verbal, written and telephone etiquette business communication skills, with the ability to communicate outstanding/follow up issues over the phone, in person and via email; with the ability to read, write, speak and understand English well.
- Basic knowledge of accounting and finance theory and practices, including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, taxation, legal forms of organizations, and business law.
- Ability to interpret financial statements/spreads (including cash flow, balance sheet, and profitability), and present facts and offer opinions concerning credit worthiness.
- Basic ability to identify recurring and non-recurring sources of cash flow and guarantors’ ability to service debt.
- Basic knowledge of financial modeling techniques.
- Basic experience interpreting credit reports and industry financial information averages.
- Ability to gain working knowledge of lending practices, collateral perfection, loan documentation, disclosures, terminology and legal documents.
- Ability to understand and apply principles, procedures, compliance requirements, federal/state regulations, and policies related to assigned area, as well as the Bank’s policies, procedures, products, and services.
- Strong organizational, time management, data review and processing skills; with the ability to identify and resolve exceptions and interpret data in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills with excellent attention to detail and a strong focus on accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly focus on key issues and make decisions under pressure of time constraints and/or competing deadlines.
- Unquestionable integrity in handling sensitive and confidential information required.
- Proficient use and understanding of MS Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook), with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies quickly and gain working knowledge of financial services loan systems and credit software applications.
- Ability to independently and satisfactorily complete the Bank’s self-directed Credit Analyst training courses.
- Climate controlled office environment.
- Occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions.
- Work involves being able to concentrate on the matter at hand, under sometimes distracting work conditions, and frequent employee and customer contacts and interruptions during the day.
- Work requires regular attendance, punctuality and adherence to agreed-upon schedule with willingness to work a flexible and/or rotating schedule and or extended hours, as needed.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, multi-line telephone, photocopier, scanner and facsimile which often requires dexterity of hands and fingers with repetitive wrist and hand motion.
- Work may involve the constant use of computer screens, reading of reports; typically sitting at a desk or table; intermittently standing, stooping, bending at the waist, climbing, kneeling or crouching to file materials and/or conduct site/property inspections.
- Occasional lifting 10 – 15 lbs., files, boxes, etc.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not an exclusive list of all qualifications for this position.
Heritage Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Job applicants have certain legal rights. Please click here for information regarding these rights.
If you need assistance completing the online application, please email: HBRecruiting@HeritageBankNW.com.