Heritage Bank currently has an exciting opportunity to join our organization! We are seeking a Construction Lender at our Olympia office in Olympia, WA. The Construction Lender is responsible for developing new business and client relationships with builders to originate and close a high volume of quality residential construction and land development loans, which meet Heritage Bank’s guidelines, and comply with all federal and state compliance policies and regulatory requirements.
The preferred location for the Construction Lender is Olympia, but depending on experience, this position may be filled in Tacoma, Bellevue, or Seattle.
Heritage Bank offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefit packages for employees and their families.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Perform business development activities with developers, builders, realtors and contractors to increase reoccurring production, and originate residential construction and land development loans.
- Produce a variety of commercial loans; generate and manage a portfolio of business and corresponding relationships.
- Maintain client database, client and customer calling/monitoring efforts, marketing and referrals.
- Analyze financial and credit data, determine customer financing objectives, advise customers of product/pricing policies and guidelines, and gather any additional required information.
- Collect and analyze detailed financial and credit data, matching customer needs with an appropriate loan program and level of risk.
- Facilitate loan approvals and expedite production by communicating construction lending policies and procedures. May provide training to mortgage lenders as needed.
- Actively partner with other lines of business to meet and exceed established production and referral targets and goals, as set with the management team.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of, and can clearly communicate and cross sell all bank products and services, to include underwriting processes and the Bank’s credit culture.
- Maintain and complete sales pipeline and activity reporting, in a timely and accurate manner.
- Keep informed of trends and developments in the local real estate market.
- Maintain proficient knowledge of, and ensures bank activities are performed in compliance with, all state and federal banking laws and regulations applicable to areas of responsibility.
- Proactively represents the Bank in the local community through involvement in professional organizations, builder associations, activities, and community group meetings and events.
- High School Diploma or equivalent – required; Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics, Marketing or relevant discipline – preferred.
- 5 years recent construction/commercial lending sales and origination experience in a financial services industry, from application to close, utilizing self-sourced and generated leads and existing customer base of builder/realtors, with proven track record closing loans in the current market, and the ability to achieve the Bank’s annual production standards – required.
- Experience with speculative construction underwriting and land development loans – required.
- Equivalent combination of education and relevant experience may be considered.
- Exceptional networking and relationship building skills, with demonstrated expertise and success in business development and sales processes and strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to meet production expectations and independently manage a heavy production and referral pipeline.
- Thorough understanding and working knowledge of loan program requirements from origination to closing, with strong working knowledge of processing, underwriting, and closing procedures.
- Strong working knowledge of laws, regulations and guidelines that govern the industry.
- Expert knowledge of lending products/services and pricing alternatives in the industry; with the ability to analyze, understand and communicate complex loan products.
- Ability to analyze and comprehend complex financial data and provide financial alternatives.
- Knowledge of real estate and finance through appropriate experience and/or certified course work.
- Strong business knowledge and acumen, credit underwriting, structuring and credit judgment skills.
- Strong organizational, planning and time management skills with the ability to manage multiple assignments and goals, ensuring that priorities are set and commitments and deadlines are met, with minimal direction and supervision.
- Demonstrated self-motivational skills and ability to work in a high pressure, high-volume production-oriented environment while ensuring deadlines are met.
- Ability to work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and departments.
- Highly effective and professional interpersonal, listening, verbal, written and telephone etiquette business communication skills, including effective questioning strategies, influencing and presentation skills; with the ability to read, write, speak and understand English well.
- Ability to handle and deal with sensitive and confidential matters in an efficient manner.
- Proficient use of MS Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook), with the ability to adapt to and learn new technologies quickly.
- Climate controlled office environment.
- Work involves being able to concentrate on the matter at hand, under sometimes distracting work conditions, and frequent employee and customer contacts and interruptions during the day.
- Work requires willingness to work a flexible and/or rotating schedule, which may require evening work.
- Work may involve the constant use of computer screens, reading of reports, and sitting throughout the day.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, multi-line telephone, photocopier, scanner and facsimile which often requires dexterity of hands and fingers with repetitive wrist and hand motion.
- Typically sitting at a desk or table; intermittently standing, stooping, bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to file materials.
- Occasional lifting 20 – 30 lbs. (i.e., loan files, boxes).
Travel Time: Will travel regularly for business development and customer meetings; willingness to travel to other branch and customer locations when needed; valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and access to reliable transportation; or the ability to access and utilize an alternative method of transportation, when needed, to carry out job-related essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not an exclusive list of all qualifications for this position.
Heritage Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Job applicants have certain legal rights. Please click here for information regarding these rights.
If you need assistance completing the online application, please email: HBRecruiting@HeritageBankNW.com