Heritage Bank is seeking a Compliance Monitoring Officer at our Southern Operations Center in Tacoma, WA. The Compliance Monitoring Officer is responsible for directing, managing, coordinating and performing, the compliance monitoring functions for the Bank, and will work closely with other members of the Compliance Department, to help identify and remediate regulatory compliance risk controls throughout the Bank.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Plan, lead, direct, and execute the Bank’s Compliance Monitoring Program, which includes, but is not limited to: the maintenance and administration of the program, preparing the annual testing schedule, and developing testing procedures and tools.
- Develop, implement, and maintain policies and procedures pertaining to compliance monitoring.
- Engage and oversee third party monitoring partners.
- Perform regulatory compliance testing to ensure the effectiveness of implemented compliance controls and recommend and evaluate remediation plans that occur as a part of the testing process.
- Coordinate all testing and improvement planning with senior and executive management.
- Attend Management Compliance Committee meetings to report on results of monitoring activities.
- Coordinate testing efforts with the line of business, Internal Audit and Risk Management within the Bank to share information and otherwise advance the established control processes designed to meet regulatory requirements.
- Monitor changes in laws, regulations, and examination trends through external regulatory services. Ensures that regulatory changes are fully incorporated into the Compliance Monitoring program.
- Assist in the preparation for compliance audits and regulatory exams.
- Assist in the development of annual risk assessments for the Bank’s business lines and functional areas and create an appropriate compliance testing program, commensurate with the identified levels of risk.
- Assist in the oversight and tracking of issues and remediation plans and escalate unresolved items to the Management Compliance Committee.
- High School diploma or equivalent – required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or relevant course of study – required.
- 7 years’ recent relevant experience, which includes in-depth working knowledge of all banking and compliance regulations, to include but is not limited to internal controls, risk analysis, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, and process improvements – required.
- Professional credentials in compliance, risk, and/or audit – highly desired.
- Equivalent combination of education, certifications, and/or relevant work experience may be considered
- Provides an exceptional level of quality service for internal/external customers; responds to customers' needs, questions and concerns in an accurate, effective, and timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with all business units, management, staff, regulators and audit personnel, to achieve common goals.
- Strong listening, verbal, written, and telephone etiquette business communication skills, including effective questioning strategies and presentation skills; with the ability to read, write, speak, and understand English well.
- Comprehensive understanding of bank operations, with advanced knowledge and training in all operational, lending, deposit activities and terminology – required.
- Extensive knowledge of all financial institution policies and procedures and the Bank’s products and services, with working experience in all facets of operations, lending, and deposit related rules and regulations.
- Thoroughly understands and applies principles, procedures, compliance requirements, state/federal regulations, and policies related to assigned area.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret government regulations, trade journals and legal documents.
- Working knowledge of all areas of the organization and ability to develop a clear understanding of the company's key functional processes and resources, effectively partnering with all lines of business to lead and affect process changes and improvements.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly focus on key issues and make decisions under pressure of time constraints.
- Strong problem-solving, attention to detail, organizational, data review, project management and time management skills, with the ability to accurately manage multiple assignments, goals, and reporting requests, ensuring priorities are set and commitments and deadlines are met, with minimal direction and supervision.
- Effective decision-making skills with proven ability to analyze information, develop strategies, and deliver results.
- Unquestionable integrity in handling sensitive and confidential information required.
- Proficient and advanced use and understanding MS Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook), and the Bank’s core processing system, with the ability to adapt to new products and technologies quickly.
- Climate controlled office environment.
- Work involves being able to concentrate on the matter at hand, under sometimes distracting work conditions and frequent employee and/or customer contacts and interruptions during the day.
- Work requires regular attendance, punctuality and adherence to agreed-upon schedule with willingness to work a flexible and/or rotating schedule and or extended hours, as needed.
- Work may involve the constant use of computer screens, reading of reports, and sitting throughout the day.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, multi-line telephone, photocopier, scanner and facsimile which often requires dexterity of hands and fingers with repetitive wrist and hand motion.
- Typically sitting at a desk or table; intermittently standing, stooping, bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to file materials.
- Occasional lifting 5 to 10 lbs. (files, boxes, handouts).
Occasional travel up to 15% to branch and department locations, which may include overnight travel availability when needed; valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and access to reliable transportation; or the ability to access and utilize an alternative method of transportation, when needed, to carry out job-related essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not an exclusive list of all qualifications for this position.
Heritage Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Job applicants have certain legal rights. Please click here for information regarding these rights.
If you need assistance completing the online application, please email: HBRecruiting@HeritageBankNW.com