Heritage Bank has an exciting opportunity to join our organization! We are seeking a Consumer/Small Business Lending (SBL) Loan Center Assistant Manager at our Burlington Administrative Center in Burlington, WA. The Consumer/SBL Loan Center Assistant Manager assists with planning, directing, overseeing, and managing team members responsible for supporting branch direct loans, and commercial small business loans, to achieve portfolio growth goals and performance standards (credit quality, net charge offs, etc.), within the Consumer Loan Center (CLC) and Small Business Lending Platform (SBLP), while ensuring procedural adherence, regulatory compliance and audit standards are in place, to mitigate risk.
The successful candidate:
- Plans, directs and organizes workflow of team members to ensure most efficient use of resources are appropriately allocated and required deadlines/commitments are routinely met.
- Provides direct reports with proper tools and authority to execute their assigned functions and develops skills of staff through goal-setting, coaching, problem resolution, delegation, training, counseling, and performance management.
- Assists management and works collaboratively with Human Resources to recommend staffing levels and approves personnel actions such as hiring, terminations, promotions, transfers, training and development of staff, timely performance reviews and salary increases, in accordance with legal and acceptable Bank personnel practices.
- Oversees centralized underwriting processes by reviewing loans for completeness, to support underwriting decisions, and ensures quality control standards and adherence to underwriting guidelines, policies and procedures are maintained. Make recommendations for changes to policies and procedures, as needed.
- Reviews, evaluates, and/or underwrites incoming consumer and SBLP credit requests; assists commercial production and retail staff in properly structuring requests; approves loans within delegated authority and appropriately recommends credit decisions as appropriate if additional authority is required.
- Partners with commercial production, retail staff, and loan documentation to develop efficient processes and forms utilized within the SBLP.
- Participates in the analysis, and timely reporting of portfolio trends, such as yield, growth, new loan volume, delinquencies, risk grade mitigation, credit quality, collateral, policy exceptions, etc. for the bank and individual officer levels and timely reporting to management.
- Maintains proficient knowledge of, and ensures bank activities are performed in compliance with, all state and federal banking laws and regulations applicable to areas of responsibility.
- Collaborates with leadership teams to develop and implement competitive products, services, and process improvements to drive business and loan growth.
- Selects, develops, configures, and maintains software systems provided by third party vendors utilized in the consumer lending process and makes recommendations to manager.
- Participates in operating and project budgets to achieve results within those budgets.
- Bachelor's degree from accredited university in Business, Finance or Economics - preferred.
- 5 years’ recent experience in small business and/or consumer lending, with strong working knowledge of credit, portfolio and small business lending administration, financial analysis, and credit review process and risk management practices, which includes a minimum of 2 years in a supervisory and/or management role, in a community bank environment – required.
- Equivalent combination of education and/or comparable experience in a leadership role may be considered.
- Provides an exceptional level of quality service for internal and external customers and responds to customers' needs, questions and concerns in an accurate, effective, and timely manner. Set performance standards for staff.
- Exhibits professional and effective listening, verbal, written and presentation communication skills (group meetings, correspondence, reports and email), with the ability to read, write, speak and understand English well.
- Strong management / leadership skills are required to motivate and develop a high performance work team and monitor workflow and schedules; employee development, performance management, training, and employee counseling skills are essential.
- Strong analytical reasoning, problem-solving, attention to detail, organizational, data review and time management skills, with the ability to accurately manage multiple assignments, goals, and reporting requests, ensuring priorities are set and commitments and deadlines are met, with minimal direction and supervision.
- Proficient in tax return and financial statement analysis. Able to analyze complex borrowers’ financial statements.
- Strong working knowledge of accounting and finance theory and practices, including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, taxation, legal forms of organizations, and business law.
- General knowledge of commercial, consumer and residential mortgage products.
- Strong business knowledge and acumen, credit underwriting, structuring and credit judgment skills.
- Strong understanding and working knowledge of consumer and commercial credit administration, credit review process, risk management practices; loan workout and loan production.
- Strong understanding of the credit and market risks facing the enterprise and key drivers of stress test results.
- Thoroughly understands and applies principles, procedures, requirements, regulations, and policies, related to assigned areas of oversight, in a multi- state environment.
- Takes independent action, operates as a pro-active self-starter, acts on opportunities, and recognizes opportunities for and encourages operational efficiencies.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly focus on key issues and make decisions under pressure of time constraints.
- Ability to work successfully in a production environment where volume, efficiency and accuracy are required.
- Unquestionable integrity in handling sensitive and confidential information required.
- Proficient knowledge and use of MS Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook) and retrieval of data, with the ability to adapt to and learn new products and technologies quickly.
- This position requires National Mortgage Licensing System and Registry (NMLS) registration under the terms of the SAFE Act of 2008. Continued employment in this position with Heritage Bank is contingent upon successful registration and annual re-registration thereafter
- Climate controlled office environment.
- Work involves being able to concentrate on the matter at hand, under sometimes distracting work conditions, and frequent employee and customer contacts and interruptions during the day.
- Work requires regular attendance, punctuality, and adherence to agreed-upon schedule with willingness to work a flexible and/or rotating schedule, and/or extended hours, and assist at other locations or remotely, as needed.
- Work may involve the constant use of computer screens, reading of reports, and sitting throughout the day.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, multi-line telephone, photocopier, scanner and facsimile which often requires dexterity of hands and fingers with repetitive wrist and hand motion.
- Typically sitting at a desk or table; intermittently standing, stooping, bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to file materials.
- Occasional lifting and/or moving up to 10 lbs (files, boxes, etc.)
Travel Time: Occasional travel with willingness to travel to other Bank locations and meeting sites, which may include overnight travel availability, when needed; valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and access to reliable transportation; or the ability to access and utilize an alternative method of transportation, when needed, to carry out job-related essential functions.
Heritage Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Job applicants have certain legal rights. Please click here for information regarding these rights.
If you need assistance completing the online application, please email: HBRecruiting@HeritageBankNW.com