Heritage Bank has an exciting opportunity to join our organization! We are seeking a Small Business Administration (SBA) Business Development Officer at our Northern Operations Center in Lynnwood, WA. The SBA - Business Development Officer is responsible for providing a full range of commercial banking services for small to medium sized businesses, with an emphasis on SBA commercial lending, deposit generation, credit quality, and business development efforts, seeking new accounts through calling, marketing, and referrals, as well as coordinating the cross-sale and delivery of bank products and services to clientele while developing skills as a trusted advisor.
Preferred location is Lynnwood, however, depending on experience, other locations in counties north of Lynnwood may be consider (i.e. Snohomish, Skagit, Whatcom).
The successful candidate:
- Proactively generates loans in a wide variety of terms and conditions including both secured and unsecured transactions.
- Approves loans within assigned lending limits. May present recommendations to management for loans outside scope of credit authority and lending limits.
- Structures and completes detailed information needed for the completion of loan documents and all other agreements.
- Maintains portfolio credit quality within standards and follow up for payment on past due loans.
- Monitors compliance with loan policy and appropriate regulations.
- Prepares, presents and/or provides senior management with reports and loan information in a timely and accurate manner, as requested and assigned.
- Builds solid relationships with clients/prospects characterized by mutual respect, understanding and trust. Works to establish his/her role as a trusted financial advisor to develop new business and retain existing business.
- Fosters and maintains cohesive partnerships and working relationships with all lines of business within the Bank to build a trusted and productive sales and service referral process.
- Actively partners with other lines of business to meet and exceed established production and referral targets and goals, as set with the management team.
- Attends all departmental, lender and branch meetings, as required.
- Represents the Bank in the local community through proactive participation in community, charitable, business and social activities to allow for maximum client and customer contact. Maintain strong working relationships with referral contacts. Attend local SBA functions.
- Maintains current knowledge of banking and lending rules and regulations and ensure compliance with all bank policies and procedures, as well as applicable state and federal regulations.
- High School Diploma or equivalent – required. Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Marketing or relevant discipline – required.
- 2+ years’ recent experience as a credit analyst and/or commercial banker or similar position requiring strong business knowledge and credit judgment, while providing financial expertise, counsel, and solutions to business clients – required.
- Recent SBA lending experience – strongly desired.
- Must have excellent business development skills.
- Equivalent combination of education, experience, and training may be considered.
- Provides an exceptional level of quality service for internal/external customers; responds to customers' needs, questions and concerns in an accurate, effective, and timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain positive, professional relationships, to successfully interact with all levels and functional areas of the organization.
- Customer-centric mindset, with the ability to translate customer issues/needs into profitable business solutions.
- Networking and relationship building skills, with demonstrated success in business development and sales processes and strategies.
- Excellent listening, verbal, written and telephone etiquette business communication skills, with the ability to communicate outstanding/follow up issues over the phone, in person and via email; effective presentation skills, with the ability to read, write, speak and understand English well.
- Strong problem solving and decision-making skills, with demonstrated ability to quickly focus on key issues, make decisions under pressure of time constraints, and translate business development challenges into opportunities.
- Strong planning, organizational, time management and follow up skills, demonstrating a strong sense of urgency and ability to execute quickly, timely and efficiently ensuring that priorities are set and sometimes competing deadlines are met.
- Understanding of the Bank’s credit underwriting policies and approval process for assigned loans.
- Understanding and working knowledge of banking regulatory policies and procedures including the US Small Business Administration Standard Operating Procedures for the 7(a) Loan Programs.
- Working knowledge of lending practices, policies, procedures, disclosures and terminology related to banking laws, regulatory requirements, and legal documents.
- Business and financial analysis and modeling skills, with understanding of financial accounting, income statements, balance sheets, etc., requiring the ability to gather, analyze and prepare reports.
- Ability to work well both independently and collectively within a production and team environment.
- Unquestionable integrity in handling sensitive and confidential information required.
- Proficient use of MS Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook) and the Bank’s core processing systems or similar financial services core processor, with the ability to adapt to and learn new technologies quickly.
- Climate controlled office environment.
- Occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions.
- Work involves being able to concentrate on the matter at hand, under sometimes distracting work conditions and frequent employee and/or customer contacts and interruptions during the day.
- Work requires regular attendance, punctuality, and adherence to agreed-upon schedule with willingness to work a flexible schedule and extended hours, as needed.
- Work may involve the constant use of computer screens, reading of reports, and sitting throughout the day.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, multi-line telephone, photocopier, scanner and facsimile which often requires dexterity of hands and fingers with repetitive wrist and hand motion.
- Typically sitting at a desk or table; intermittently standing, stooping, bending at the waist, climbing, kneeling or crouching to file materials and/or site/property inspections; Occasional lifting 20 – 30 lbs.
Travel Time: Frequent travel for business development and customer meetings; willingness to travel to other branch and customer locations when needed; valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and access to reliable transportation; or the ability to access and utilize an alternative method of transportation, when needed, to carry out job-related essential functions.
Heritage Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Job applicants have certain legal rights. Please click here for information regarding these rights.
If you need assistance completing the online application, please email: HBRecruiting@HeritageBankNW.com