The Portfolio Risk Officer is responsible for the management and supervision of bank wide analytical efforts, to evaluate credit risk by employing a variety of advanced analytical techniques. This position will monitor portfolio quality; prepare and oversee preparation of management reports and provide oversight on individual loan grading to insure regulatory compliance and assist in the overall management of the loan portfolio of the Bank.
Preferred geographical location is Tacoma, WA. Depending on experience, other Washington and Oregon locations in Heritage Bank's footprint may be considered.
The successful candidate:
- Provides management oversight and directs the work of portfolio analysts preparation of financial spreads, ensures that a wide range of portfolio and credit risk analyses and reporting are completed in a timely and accurate manner
- Analyzes portfolio trends such as delinquencies, risk grade migration, credit, collateral, and policy exceptions, reporting to senior management as appropriate.
- May oversee and be accountable for preparation of ASC 310 impairment analyses; provides support for the Allowance for Loan and Lease Loss Analysis model and process.
- May perform loan segmentation and regression analysis to continually analyze key drivers of default in order to redefine and implement newly identified indicators of risk.
- Utilizes existing economic and market data available for the various markets and industries to perform periodic studies and analyses to support the markets in which the Bank serves.
- Complies with government regulations by maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of commercial law, UCC, and banking regulations/policies. Maintains a current knowledge of the bank’s regulatory environment and recommends changes to lending policies and guidelines, as appropriate. Ensures changes to lending policies and guidelines are published and communicated in a timely manner. Interacts with regulators, auditors and outside consultants as requested and required.
- May provide oversight for annual CRE loan review project; manages the process and workflow; escalates issues as appropriate; monitors for follow-up items; and may prepare final reports for senior management
- May oversee and manage the maintenance and enhancement of the organization’s credit risk rating system and employs appropriate tools/models and databases in support of credit reviews.
- May review and evaluate incoming credit requests for small business loans; assists analysts in properly structuring and underwriting credits; may approve loans within delegated authority.
- Provides direct reports with proper tools and authorities to execute their assigned functions. Develops skills of staff through goal-setting, coaching, problem resolution, delegation, training, counseling, and performance management.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or relevant discipline – preferred.
- 8+ years' recent experience in credit and portfolio administration, which includes a minimum of 3 years in a supervisory and/or management role with emphasis in commercial / business lending, and thorough understanding of credit review and risk management processes – required.
- Equivalent combination of education, training, and/or comparable experience may be considered.
- Provides an exceptional level of quality service for internal/external customers; responds to customers' needs, questions and concerns in an accurate, effective, and timely manner.
- Excellent listening, verbal, written and telephone etiquette business communication skills, with the ability to communicate outstanding/follow up issues over the phone, in person and via email; with the ability to read, write, speak and understand English well.
- Strategic approach to problem solving and decision-making, with demonstrated ability to quickly focus on key issues and make decisions under pressure of time constraints.
- Demonstrated self-motivational skills and the ability to work in a high pressure, high-volume production-oriented environment while ensuring deadlines are met.
- Strong organizational, time management, data review and processing skills; with the ability to manage multiple assignments and goals, with minimal direction.
- Strong managerial and leadership skills are required to manage, motivate, and develop a team, with demonstrated ability to manage a high-volume work flow, in multiple locations.
- Advanced knowledge of financial modeling techniques and ability to prepare pro forma financial statements, global cash flow and dealer analyses.
- Advanced working knowledge of accounting and finance theory and practices, including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, taxation, legal forms of organizations, and business law.
- Broad knowledge of regulatory requirements and standards applicable to commercial lending, C & I, commercial real estate, consumer and residential mortgage products.
- Advanced business knowledge and acumen, credit underwriting, structuring and credit judgment skills.
- Strong understanding and working knowledge of commercial credit administration, credit review process, risk management practices; loan workout and loan production.
- Ability to apply advanced statistical methods in finance context, i.e., portfolio, risk and loss models beyond regular statistics.
- Strong understanding of the credit and market risks facing the enterprise and key drivers of stress test results.
- Solid understanding of risk systems and processes; familiarity with risk measurement and accounting methodologies (e.g. economic capital, ASC 450, ASC 310, ASC 825) – desired.
- Unquestionable integrity in handling sensitive and confidential information required.
- Proficient use and understanding of MS Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook), with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies quickly.
- Strong working knowledge of financial institution credit software – required.
- Climate controlled office environment.
- Work involves being able to concentrate on the matter at hand, under sometimes distracting work conditions and frequent interruptions during the day.
- Work requires regular attendance, punctuality and adherence to agreed-upon schedule(s) with willingness to work a flexible and/or rotating schedule, and/or extended hours, as needed
- Work may involve the constant use of computer screens, reading of reports, and sitting throughout the day.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, multi-line telephone, photocopier, scanner and facsimile which often requires dexterity of hands and fingers with repetitive wrist and hand motion.
- Typically sitting at a desk or table; intermittently standing, stooping, bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to file materials.
- Occasional lifting 5 – 10 lbs. (files / boxes).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not an exclusive list of all qualifications for this position.
Heritage Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Job applicants have certain legal rights. Please click here for information regarding these rights.
If you need assistance completing the online application, please email: HBRecruiting@HeritageBankNW.com