The Senior Accountant is responsible for for ensuring a timely monthly general ledger (GL) close, preparation of schedules, journal entries, reconciliations, SEC reporting support, regulatory reporting, and all financial transactions are recorded in accordance with GAAP and SEC regulatory requirements, and in compliance with established internal controls.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Prepare the more complex general ledger account reconciliations, i.e., investments, equity, intercompany, etc. on a daily, monthly, and quarterly basis, in a timely manner and appropriate support documentation.
- Support month-end and year-end financial close and reporting processes.
- Participate in various accounting functions to include but not limited to: loan and deposit reconciliations, investments, equity accounting, lease accounting, accounts payable, fixed assets, prepaid expenses, and accrued expenses.
- Responsible for timely and accurate preparation of federal, state and local tax filings.
- Assist with the analysis of transactions to determine the appropriate accounting treatment and ensure that financial reports are prepared in accordance with GAAP and SEC requirements.
- Maintain proficient knowledge of, and ensures bank activities are performed in compliance with, all state and federal banking laws and regulations applicable to areas of responsibility.
- Ensure compliance with all Bank policies, procedures and applicable state and federal banking regulations. Monitors adherence to financial standards and regulations, such as finance-related Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- Participate in and/or leads special projects, as assigned, which includes GAAP research, analysis, and implementation into all Accounting Department processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance and/or Business with an emphasis in Accounting, or a related field - required.
- Minimum of 4 years' recent experience in a similar accounting role – required.
- Provides an exceptional level of quality service for internal/external customers; responds to customers' needs, questions and concerns in an accurate, effective, and timely manner.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate clearly across business lines at all levels; with the ability to read, write, speak and understand the English language.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with individuals and groups as an effective team contributor.
- Strong attention to detail demonstrating accuracy with numbers and reporting.
- Excellent conceptual, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to complete multiple projects within strict deadlines.
- Strong working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Strong working knowledge of federal, state and local taxes – preferred.
- Thoroughly understands and applies principles, procedures, compliance requirements, state/federal regulations, and policies related to assigned area.
- Unquestionable integrity in handling sensitive and confidential information required.
- Proficient use and understanding of MS Office products (Word, Outlook and advanced MS Excel skills to include spreadsheets, vlookups, pivot tables and database queries), with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies quickly.
- Working knowledge and experience with Fiserv Prologue financial suite or other ERP systems – preferred.
- Climate controlled office environment.
- Work involves being able to concentrate on the matter at hand, under sometimes distracting work conditions and frequent employee and customer contacts and interruptions during the day.
- Work requires regular attendance, punctuality and adherence to agreed-upon schedule with willingness to work a flexible and/or rotating schedule and or extended hours, and assist at other locations or remotely, as needed.
- Work may involve the constant use of computer screens, reading of reports, and sitting throughout the day.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, multi-line telephone, photocopier, scanner and facsimile which often requires dexterity of hands and fingers with repetitive wrist and hand motion.
- Typically sitting at a desk or table; intermittently standing, stooping, bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to file materials.
- Occasional Lifting and/or moving up to 10 lbs (files, boxes, etc.)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not an exclusive list of all qualifications for this position.
Heritage Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Job applicants have certain legal rights. Please click here for information regarding these rights.
If you need assistance completing the online application, please email: HBRecruiting@HeritageBankNW.com