Portfolio / Financial Analyst
This position is responsible for spreading/analyzing financial information and credit data to assist in determining risk involved in extending credit or lending money to businesses or individuals. Financial spreads are provided to/used by lending officers and/or Credit Administration to make lending decisions. Additionally, this position provides assistance in monitoring the credit risk in the Bank’s loan portfolio by performing basic research, analysis and monitoring of the portfolio.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Complete financial spreads of basic personal and business financial statements using the Bank’s software tools. Incorporates all pertinent credit and financial information.
- Analyze and monitors accounts receivable (A/R) agings, borrowing base certificates, and other collateral information to ensure extensions of credit accurately represent eligible collateral in accordance with loan and security agreements, as well as regulatory and policy requirements. Escalates issues as appropriate.
- Assists with preparation of ASC 310 and FAS 91 impairment worksheets.
- Determine the need for more thorough investigation or additional information; monitors and follows up on outstanding items in a timely manner.
- Provide technical advice and assistance to loan officers, as needed.
- Review draft Business Loan Agreements to ensure consistency with governing loan approval documents.
- Assist with capturing data, tracking and analyzing trends, and preparing management and board reports, in a timely and accurate manner.
- Utilize existing economic and market data available for the various markets and industries to perform periodic studies and analyses to support the markets in which the Bank serves.
- Participate in other projects, including ad-hoc data manipulation, reporting, analysis, and market data research, working closely with the management team to identify potential problems and implement process improvements.
- May assist in preparation/revision of guidelines, procedures and instruction manuals.
- Assist in coordinating the process/procedures for annual commercial real estate loan reviews.
- Develop and maintain current knowledge of commercial credit administration, credit review process and risk management practices.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or relevant discipline – preferred.
- Accounting and financial statement analysis skills as developed through a combination of education and work experience – required.
- 1+ years recent relevant work experience in commercial banking or credit risk management – required.
- Recent credit/collateral analysis experience in a financial services industry - preferred.
- Equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Experience in providing quality service to internal/external customers and responding to customers' questions and concerns in an accurate, effective, and timely manner.
- Effective listening , verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate outstanding/follow up issues over the phone, in person and via email to a variety of audiences; and the ability to read, write, speak and understand English well.
- Ability to handle and deal with sensitive and confidential information, in a tactful and discreet manner.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member in a deadline-driven environment.
- Basic knowledge of accounting and finance theory and practices, including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, taxation, legal forms of organizations, and business law.
- Basic ability to interpret financial statements/spreads (including cash flow, balance sheet, and profitability).
- Basic ability to identify recurring and non-recurring sources of cash flow and guarantors’ ability to service debt.
- Basic experience interpreting credit reports and industry financial information averages.
- Analytical skills, with excellent attention to detail and a strong focus on accuracy. Excels in quickly conceptualizing and assimilating data to make decisions and take appropriate action.
- Detail oriented with strong organizational, problem-solving, data review and time management skills; with the ability to manage multiple assignments, and reporting requests ensuring that priorities are set and commitments and deadlines are met.
- Ability to gain an understanding and working knowledge of risk systems, processes and risk measurement and accounting methodologies (e.g. economic capital, ASC 450, ASC 310).
- Experience in data tracking, report development, and identifying significant changes or trends.
- Experience using MS Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook), with the ability to adapt to and learn new products and technologies quickly.
- Experience with, or ability to quickly learn financial institution credit spreading software (i.e. CreditQuest, Moody’s or Baker Hill).
- Familiarity with system of record (DNA), and imaging software (Aurora) – desired.
- Climate controlled office environment.
- Work involves being able to concentrate on the matter at hand under sometimes distracting work conditions and frequent interruptions during the day.
- Work requires regular attendance, punctuality and adherence to agreed-upon schedule with willingness to work a flexible and/or rotating schedule and/or extended hours, as needed.
- Work may involve the constant use of computer screens, reading of reports, and sitting throughout the day.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, multi-line telephone, photocopier, scanner, and facsimile which often requires dexterity of hands and fingers with repetitive wrist and hand motion.
- Typically sitting at a desk or table; intermittently standing, stooping, bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to file materials.
- Occasional lifting 5 – 10 lbs. (files, boxes).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not an exclusive list of all qualifications for this position.
Heritage Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Job applicants have certain legal rights. Please click here for information regarding these rights.
If you need assistance completing the online application, please email: HBRecruiting@HeritageBankNW.com