The Staff Accountant is responsible for the accurate and timely reconciliation of assigned general ledger (GL) accounts, journal entry preparation and posting of intercompany transactions, in accordance with GAAP and SEC regulatory requirements, and in compliance with established internal controls.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Prepares journal entries and performs daily/weekly/monthly general ledger reconciliations.
- Provides support researching and resolving account variances in an accurate and timely manner.
- Research, tracks, and resolves non-post items, suspense and auto-balance items.
- Participates in the month end close process, which includes the reconciliation and certification of general account balances.
- Performs monthly fixed assets additions, disposals and reporting.
- Prepares real estate and personal property tax forms, accruals, and payments.
- Prepares daily FRB balancing, weekly FR 2900 Report, and other regulatory and financial reports.
- Supports the accounting team in the areas of loans, deposits fixed assets and borrowings, accrued and prepaid items.
- Prepares various schedules and reports for the accounting department’s deliverables and for external auditors.
- Provides assistance with the preparation of audited financial statements and related footnotes, as needed.
- Understands and maintains working knowledge of, and ensures bank activities are performed in compliance with, all state and federal banking laws and regulations applicable to assigned area.
- Contributes to the success of the department with willingness to share in all department responsibilities and provide back-up assistance, as required or assigned.
- Associates degree in Accounting or Finance – required. and/or Business with an emphasis in Accounting, or a related field - required. Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance – preferred.
- 1 + years’ recent general accounting experience – required.
- Relevant working experience in the financial services industry – preferred.
- Equivalent combination of education, training and/or relevant work experience may be considered.
- Provides an exceptional level of quality service for internal/external customers; responds to customers' needs, questions and concerns in an accurate, effective, and timely manner.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills with the ability to read, write, speak and understand the English language.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with individuals and groups as an effective team contributor.
- Strong attention to detail demonstrating accuracy with numbers and reporting.
- Excellent conceptual, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Organizational and time management skills with the ability to complete multiple projects within strict deadlines.
Understands and applies principles, procedures, compliance requirements, state/federal regulations, and policies related to assigned area.
Unquestionable integrity in handling sensitive and confidential information required.
Proficient use and understanding of MS Office products (Word, Outlook and MS Excel skills to include spreadsheets, vlookups, pivot tables and database queries), with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies quickly.
Working knowledge and experience with Fiserv Prologue financial suite or other ERP systems – preferred.
- Climate controlled office environment.
- Work involves being able to concentrate on the matter at hand, under sometimes distracting work conditions and frequent employee and customer contacts and interruptions during the day.
- Work requires regular attendance, punctuality and adherence to agreed-upon schedule with willingness to work a flexible and/or rotating schedule and or extended hours, and assist at other locations or remotely, as needed.
- Work may involve the constant use of computer screens, reading of reports, and sitting throughout the day.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, multi-line telephone, photocopier, scanner and facsimile which often requires dexterity of hands and fingers with repetitive wrist and hand motion.
- Typically sitting at a desk or table; intermittently standing, stooping, bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to file materials.
- Occasional Lifting and/or moving up to 10 lbs (files, boxes, etc.)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not an exclusive list of all qualifications for this position.
Heritage Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Job applicants have certain legal rights. Please click here for information regarding these rights.
If you need assistance completing the online application, please email: HBRecruiting@HeritageBankNW.com