Heritage Bank is seeking a Director of Internal Audit to join our team! This position is responsible for continually improving and administering all aspects of the Bank’s risk based Internal Audit Programs, while providing leadership, direction, and oversight to the internal audit team. The position will have a key role in assessing the company’s compliance with the requirements of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002. This position reports functionally to the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors with an administrative dotted line to the Chief Risk Officer.
Preferred geographical location is Tacoma, WA. Depending on experience other geographical locations in Heritage Bank's footprint may be considered. i.e., Seattle, WA.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Provide direct reports with proper tools and authority to execute their assigned functions. Develop skills of staff through goal setting, coaching, problem resolution, delegation, training, counseling, and performance management.
- Work collaboratively with Manager and Human Resources to recommend staffing levels and approves personnel actions such as hiring, terminations, promotions, transfers, training and development of staff, timely performance reviews and salary increases, in accordance with legal and acceptable Bank personnel practices.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or relevant discipline - required.
- 10+ years’ recent experience in public accounting or publicly traded company and financial institution experience, which includes a minimum of 5 years in a senior management audit or accounting role overseeing operational and financial audits of processes and controls – required.
- Professional credentials as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) - required.
- Equivalent combination of education, certifications and/or relevant experience in audit, accounting, compliance or risk management in a leadership role may be considered.
- Comprehensive knowledge of auditing practices, procedures and principles, sufficient to interpret and analyze complex concepts and apply them in innovative ways. Skills and knowledge should include an extensive understanding of financial, operational, compliance and credit risk. Should have expert knowledge of generally accepted auditing standards in the US and the Institute of Internal Auditors International Professional Practice Framework (IPPF).
- Thorough understanding of and familiarity with the concept and practice of self-auditing institutions, as in the COSO framework and control self-assessment approach for the review of reliable financial reporting, operational efficiency and compliance.
- Advance knowledge evaluating the effectiveness of management in their stewardship of bank resources and their compliance with established policies and procedures, including corporate governance and corporate code of ethics and conduct policy.
- Strong listening, verbal, and written business communication skills, including effective questioning strategies and presentation skills at all levels within the organization; with the ability to read, write, speak, and understand English well.
- Strategic approach to decision-making with proven ability to analyze information, develop strategies and deliver results.
- Strong leadership and managerial skills are required to manage, motivate, and develop teams, to include oversight and management of employees in remote locations. Employee development, performance management, training and employee counseling skills required. Facilitates cooperation and motivates team members to accomplish individual and group goals.
- Thoroughly understands and applies principles, procedures, compliance requirements, state/federal regulations, and policies related to assigned area of oversight.
- Unquestionable integrity and strong moral and ethical foundation to disclose potentially illegal, criminal and unethical business practices or data.
- Ability to handle and deal with sensitive, confidential and proprietary information, in a tactful and discreet manner.
- Proficient PC experience using MS Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook) and retrieval of data; working knowledge of automated financial management and accounting systems, and financial services core processing systems, with the ability to adapt to and learn new products and technologies quickly.
- Climate controlled office environment.
- Work involves being able to concentrate on the matter at hand, under sometimes distracting work conditions, and frequent employee and/or customer contacts and interruptions during the day.
- Work requires regular attendance, punctuality and adherence to agreed-upon schedule with willingness to work a flexible and/or rotating schedule, and/or extended hours, as needed.
- Work may involve the constant use of computer screens, reading of reports, and sitting throughout the day.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, multi-line telephone, photocopier, scanner and facsimile which often requires dexterity of hands and fingers with repetitive wrist and hand motion.
- Typically sitting at a desk or table; intermittently standing, stooping, bending at the waist, walking, climbing, kneeling or crouching to file materials.
- Occasional lifting and/or moving up to 20 lbs (files, boxes, etc.)
Travel Time: Willingness to travel to other Bank locations and meeting sites which may include overnight travel availability when needed; valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and access to reliable transportation; or the ability to access and utilize an alternative method of transportation, when needed, to carry out job-related essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not an exclusive list of all qualifications for this position.
Heritage Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Job applicants have certain legal rights. Please click here for information regarding these rights.
If you need assistance completing the online application, please email: HBRecruiting@HeritageBankNW.com